***The Hurley Ticker*** "If I spend all the money I have at Walmart, I will save more than I make." -early morning radio Search & Win

Sunday, April 24, 2005

Another Day on Camp Lejeune...

Here we are yet again. The day promises to be quite beautiful judging from the 2 seconds that it took me to open the door. Okay, okay, I'll open the door so I'm not completely "city-fied." I finally got a day off yesterday and yes, I did sleep the whole day... and night. Like I've said before, you get a little stir-crazy when you work all night an sleep all day. I'm hoping that I will be able to go to church today. The guy who I normally ride with is doing children's church this morning, so it might not work out. I am, however, getting my on-base driving privelages back on Monday so this is a very good thing. Monday is also the first day that I'm going to never speed ever again... no really, I promise...

Jane Roh of FoxNews reports that Zacarias Moussaoui has pleaded guilty to participating in the 9/11 attacks on the World Trade Center. While there are still many doubts surrounding this case, I think it will be another good step towards closure for the American people, if we can see this plea through to the end. Moussaoui has argued that his 747 flight training in a Minnesota flight school was not for the 9/11 attacks but rather for a wave of subsequent attacks. His training was for an attack on the White House. When a judge asked Moussaoui if he understood the implications of his guilty plea, Moussaoui replied, "I don't expect any leniency from the Americans." Well, there's a smart cookie right there. I guess it doesn't take a rocket scientist to fly a 747. But to his.... credit, he has apparently been in solitary confinement since his legal battles began 3 years ago. I guess that gives you a lot of time to think about the implications of a guilty plea. He is facing 4 charges that carry the death penalty as a maximum punishment. How about 3,000 counts of conspiracy to commit murder? Well, I guess he did only conspire once, but there are still 3,000 murders that have to be accounted for. In the end, I suppose that God will be able to offer the only kind of retribution. Well, it's probably enough that these guys get to the Judgement Seat and holler "Where're the virgins?!"
Read the whole report here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154273,00.html

An associated press release comments that settlers in the Netzer Hazani settlement on the Gaza strip will be celebrating their last Passover Seder meal today before being forcibly evacuated on August 15. Defense Minister Shaul Mofaz agreed to postpone the evacuation from July 20 and Prime Minister Ariel Sharon is expected to confirm the August date on Monday. The delay was requested because of a mourning period that ends on the 14th. The 14th of August falls on Tisha B'Av in the Jewish calendar. Tisha B'Av is a day that commemorates the destruction of the first (built by Solomon) and second (built by the Israelites who were returning from captivity in Babylon) temples that stood in Jerusalem. The primary concern for Palestinians at this point is that Israel will pull out the citizens and troops, only to isolate the remaining 1.3 million Palestinians in a plot of land that they control, but cannot leave. In fact, Palestinians are demanding control over the Gaza border, sea space, and airspace, as well as having the authority to act with military forces within the Gaza strip, which implies that this isn't default. If they have to ask for it then maybe Israel isn't intending to give it to them. I don't have all the facts, though. Watch for "My Thoughts on Israel-Palestine..."
Read the whole report here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154418,00.html

An associated press release reports that the parents of a 5-year old hooligan, who was handcuffed by St. Petersburg police, plan to sue the officers involved. An attorney says that he plans legal action against the Floridian officers after he provided a video tape of the incident to the press, which he obtained from police. I'm not sure what to say about this, really. I mean gosh, if this 5-year old is so unruly that it takes 4 officers (2 of whom were new and being trained that day) to take her down in a 5-point restraint, then by all means arrest the little snot, and find out what she's been eating too, because I want some of that! If on the other hand, these officers have stepped outside of their authority and common sense, then they owe my mother an apology. My mother was a police officer before I was born and hold a great deal of my respect, and even with MS she could still whip my skinny little butt any day of the week and twice on Sunday, if she needed to. I can understand trying to instill fear of the law in these little kids, but my gosh! Do you also want to further reinforce the disdain that most teen-aged kids have for the "popo?" The police ought to be the one organization that you can trust to help you out when you're in trouble. You ought to be able to believe that even if you are innocent, they're going to do their job well enough that they'll find out that you're innocent and send you on your way. As my dad pointed out, government is for a moral people, once we lose basic morals then the law is no longer effective. The law must become increasingly strict and powerful if they are to enforce order among a people who don't want order. Therefore, don't fix the government, fix the people.
Read the whole report here: http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,154405,00.html

Well, there's a few stories for you, and my thoughts on them. Keep a lookout on "My Thoughts on Everything..." and you'll see some of this stuff coming out in a more refined form.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home