***The Hurley Ticker*** "If I spend all the money I have at Walmart, I will save more than I make." -early morning radio Search & Win

Saturday, November 15, 2008

The Thumb


Yup, here it is. I smashed it. The line on top is the part that got pinched, and the blob on bottom is where it bled under the skin. And this picture is a week and a half after the event. Didn't actually hurt very much. Not that I let that stop me from freaking out. The diagram below is (roughly) a sketch of the compactor. A weight falls and hits a metal disc which transfers the impact down the rod to another metal disc that smushes the dirt in the core (pvc pipe full of soil, labeled sample) to simulate years of being run over by golf carts. The weight is dropped 21 times to achieve a specific level of compaction. Unfortunately, it tends to double bounce, which would result in a slightly different level of compaction than if the weight only hit once on each drop. So, for the sake of scientific accuracy, it is "better" to catch the weight after the first bounce but before the second bounce. If you miss, however... well, you get the picture (harhar).




To clarify the kitty paw prints, the cast iron skillet right next to that pan had been freshly oiled, so the paw prints are oil prints. I promise my cookware is not dusty.



Boxes are getting unpacked and disappearing into the garage (and some are shoved into a closet, nevermind that...) but there is still quite a selection of miscellania in the dining room. I think we're going to have to buy some more shelves. It'll be great once it's done, but there's still a lot of clutter to go.

Oh, and this is actually posted by Helen, even though it says Matt below.

1 Comments:

Blogger Jackie said...

Ouch woman!!!

20:36  

Post a Comment

<< Home