***The Hurley Ticker*** "If I spend all the money I have at Walmart, I will save more than I make." -early morning radio Search & Win

Sunday, May 01, 2005

Captain's Log: Supplemental...

Didn't you always love it when a StarTrek episode started out like that? It always meant that you were jumping right into the big middle of the excitement! Okay, maybe you can forget that I just said that. Anyhow, the title is accurate, it is the same day as the last post, mostly. This post is simply to supplement the shortcomings of the last one... er, support the lack-... I mean, make it more better. Um, yeah. Anyway, thus the term 'supplemental,'as in 'to supplement.' But you knew that. What I'm desperately trying to say is that I did make it to church after all and I've decided not to sleep until tonight which means that I'm bored... and tired... and delusional... which probably is not a great combination for the immortal word of the WWW.

On a slightly more sensical note, did you ever realize what a colossal failure Samson was? That's what we talked about in church today, Samson: the spiritual pretender. He was the first of a new line of Levites and he broke every single law that God gave to him. He touched the body of a dead animal, he married a Gentile, he told someone the secret of his strength, etc. In fact, it looks as if the only reason that he didn't cut his hair sooner was because he knew he would loose his strength. It was okay to touch a dead carcass and marry outside of his faith because there were no immediate repercussions. How often I have played the spiritual pretender... I smile and nod, even though I really don't want to be around this person any more than necessary. I pray well, and often, when asked to pray outloud in front of other people, but few and far between are my quiet, intimate prayers of grief and repentance for the sin in my life. How often do we go to Church in American tradition and duty, only to think about what we have to do in the coming week instead of the God who is trying to woo our hearts? Instead of looking into the face of the One who is grabbing us by the ears and saying "Look at Me! Look at Me before you live a life that is mediocre!" Thank God for grace that is greater than all my sin...

Soli Deo Gloria

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home