***The Hurley Ticker*** "If I spend all the money I have at Walmart, I will save more than I make." -early morning radio Search & Win

Monday, May 02, 2005

SASO Take 4...

Well, this is the fourth time that I have been signed up for SASO (Stability and Support Operations) training and it appears that I will be shot down for the 4th time in a row. SASO is training that every POG Marine receives before deploying, it's just that no one is deploying right now, so none of the classes are big enough. By the time I leave I will have had this training.

The Marine Corps is divided into two primary groups. Grunts are the guys who carry the guns and stomp the doors in most of the time. The Military Occupational Specialty (MOS) numbers that they are given start with 03 and consist of 4 digits that correspond to their occupation. The 0311s are Basic Riflemen and are the basic "Grunt," as well as others that are more specialized. Grunts are generally characterized as being loud, obnoxious, unintellectual, unruly, eager to fight, and capable of spitting nails at any given time. Though the stereotype is not entirely consistent, keep in mind that there is a stereotype for a reason i.e. something inspired it. The other Marine is the POG: Person Other than Grunt, pronounced "pohguh" with a "g" like in "grain." The POGs are generally characterized as lazy, sloppy, uninterested, cowardly, or simply too smart to be wasted as a grunt. Again, no stereotype is universal, but the stereotype is not based on pure fiction. For the most part, POGs and Grunts are as amiable towards each other as toward anyone else, but the difference is an ever present reason to start a fight if the time comes for one. The truth is that Grunts are tough and disciplined because they do it every day, but POGs have far more time to go to the gym and are more prone to be held to more ridiculous forms of "discipline" such as having immaculate springs underneath your mattress. And while POGs are typically more relaxed than grunts, we do have far more opportunity to interact with higher ranks, which calls for a much higher degree of professionalism and tact. Well, there's a little Marine Corps education for you. If you'd like to see more about the REAL Marine Corps life, you can check out the blogsite of a buddy of mine who just got back from a tour in Okinawa, I'll put it under my links when I get the URL.

Only 3 years and 3 months left on my contract! It's hard to believe that it's already been almost 2 years. Only a little longer before Helen graduates and then I get out and then we can move back to Texas, or wherever, and live happily ever after... yes, just like the fairy tales. Well, I've been told to go home pending further word on SASO training, which to me means that it's not going today ;-) More later....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home