***The Hurley Ticker*** "If I spend all the money I have at Walmart, I will save more than I make." -early morning radio Search & Win

Tuesday, November 18, 2008

The Best Soup Ever!!

So I've been trying out new recipes from my Rachael Ray cookbook, and today discovered the best soup ever. Despite the bland name of "Creamy Broccoli Soup", it is anything but. I'd go on, but there really aren't words.

Rachael Ray's Creamy Broccoli Soup, paraphrased


4 (or 5) slices bacon
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, chopped
1 tablespoon fresh thyme (or dried), chopped
salt and freshly ground black pepper
a couple of dashes of Tabasco-type hot sauce (or cayanne pepper)
2 10-boxes frozen chopped broccoli THAWED (tricky tricky)
1 quart (4 cups, or 2 cans) chicken stock or broth
1/2 cup heavy cream of half-and-half
3 tablespoons chopped fresh chives (or green onions)
zest and juice of 1 lemon

In a large soup pot, cook bacon until crispy, about 3 or 4 minutes. Remove and drain on towel. Poor off excess bacon grease, cuz lets face it, there's a LOT in there. Add onions, garlic, and thyme to the surviving bacon grease (if you're not from the South, trust me, you want some grease in there) and season with salt, pepper, and hot sauce. Cook, stirring frequently, until for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onions are tender. Add the broccoli and continue to cook until the broccoli is heated through, 2 to 3 minutes. Transfer the onions and broccoli to a blender or food processor with 1/2 cup chicken stock and puree until smooth. I know, it's messy, but sooo worth it. Return to soup pot and stir in remaining 3 1/2 cups of chicken stock and the cream, bring to a simmer, and cook for about 8 to 10 minutes. To finish the soup, add the lemon juice and zest (not a fan of zest, but the lemon juice makes a huge difference), stir to combine, and serve.

On top of ours, we put cheese (because broccoli soup should have cheddar, that's just the way it is), the bacon from the beginning chopped up, and the sliced green onion. It was beautiful and delicious. I ate way too much. This recipe supposedly serves 4, but Matt and I only got 2 and a half servings out of it. You could probably add salad and bread to stretch it out a little more. And the whole pot was only $5.46. I did get bacon for a dollar a pound, though, at the HEB. I might have to go back and get some more of that.

Enjoy!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home